Mo asked, "What do you think happens when we die?" he looked at me and then at Jo.
Jo deep into the middle of his gingersnap stopped for a moment and then bit down hard.
No one said anything. The room was full of silence and all the unspoken words seem to spill out and land onto the carpet...much like the sunlight from the window.
"I guess you get dropped in a hole and rot." Jo said coldly and then took another bite into his gingersnap.
"Do you mean what happens to the body or the soul?" I asked Mo.
Jo rolled his eyes and then said, "Please do not encourage Boy Wonder over here."
"Soul." Mo said.
" I would say look to the Bible." I smiled.
Mo smiled back and then said, "I know. But do you think anyone there will know us?"
"The Bible is pretty clear on that Mo." I smiled and then frowned watching Jo dip his last gingersnap into his coffee.
"Do you think that in Heaven we will meet all the people we prayed for?" Mo asked looking at me and trying to avoid looking at Jo as he began to try to fish out his now broken cookie in his coffee.
"I am not sure. But it would be lovely." I said.
"Then you will have gotten your reward for that, wouldn't you." Jo said.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"Praying is not something we do to get stuff...praying should be an honest gift from the heart expecting nothing in return and being thankful that God allowed us to come before Him in pure love and thankfulness knowing He listens. " Jo said and then took a sip of his coffee.
Mo's mouth fell open and I admit, I was rather taken back as well.
"That is very insightful of you Jo." I smiled at him.
"Well, you know if you are into that sort of thing and all." Jo added.
Mo shook his head and then opened his Bible.
It made me pause a moment and think about Jo. He is not what anyone would ever call emotional or even thoughtful. Yet he managed to grasp our blessing at being able to pray for one another.
"What about all the people who prayed for us? Wouldn't that be lovely if we were able to meet them, too?" I said.
Mo looked at me and then smiled. He hugged himself and added, "Oh that would be nice."
Jo opened his mouth as if he were going to say something and then he lifted his left eyebrow and slightly bent his head to the left while motioning downward. He then lifted his cup of coffee towards me and smiled. I love it when I leave Jo speechless!
Blessings to you all sweet friends.