Saturday, May 24, 2014

What did you say?

I wasn't sure how I felt about having to verify if that was Mr. Cross Stitch laying dead at the morgue.
We had been so close for so many years and then...we kind of drifted apart and for the last few weeks he had been in touch with me again, although I never shared that with Mo or anyone else for that matter. I knew how hard it had been for Mo to give up his friendship with Mr. Cross Stitch, and then to be able to do some stitching again, albeit alone, I just did not want to stir up Mo's emotions again.

The first thing I noticed was the cold, the second thing was how everything was so clean and impersonal. It felt very personal to me, to have to identify a friend. I wasn't sure how I felt about all this...what I was going to do if it really was Mr. Cross Stitch.

I stood behind a glass and they rolled a body out for me to see...slowly they lifted the sheet and then I  felt my legs come out from under me. The next thing I knew someone was over me waving their hand and asking if I were alright.  I looked up at them and said weakly, that I was ok.

As they helped me back to my feet. I could see Johnny Lawman was walking into the room where I was at. He came up next to me and then asked as we looked out beyond the glass, "Is that Mr. Cross Stitch?"

I shook my head. "No, it is not." I was so relieved and yet so scared at the same time. Should I tell him I knew who it was.  I wasn't sure what to do, so I kept silent.

"OK, thank you for coming down." Johnny Lawman said and then walked me out to my car.

"I guess that is a relief to know it wasn't your friend."  he said to me.

"Yes, I expected to see him there, and when I did not, I just..." I paused.

"I know you fainted, it happens a lot here." he smiled and then added, "Drive safely now." and he said as he bent down and looked over at Jo who was behind the wheel, he then turned and walked away.

I got into the car. Jo started up the car and then I put my  hand on his hand that was on the steering wheel. He looked at me and could tell I was upset. He turned the car off and then said, "What is wrong?"

"It was not Mr. Cross Stitch." I said in a whisper.

"I told you..." he started to say

"It was Mr."  I stopped, I wasn't sure how to say it, I did not want to say it...I wasn't sure I could say it...and then I said in a whisper, "Cro....chet."  My eyes welled up with tears and I looked over at Jo.

His eyes got big and then he said, "What did you say?"


10 comments:

  1. As the kids say, "No Way!!!" I didn't see that one coming.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Word. How was this even possible???

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the ****? I am in shock, it just can't be true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm....are you sure it was Mr. Crochet and not his mother's brother....Mr. Ima Knot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not Mr, Crochet?!?!?!?! I mean I understand if it was Mr. Knit! What the heck is going on?
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nooooooo!!! No, not Mr Crochet!!!!
    It can't be!!!

    :'(

    ReplyDelete