Tuesday, January 14, 2014

You should hook what makes you happy......

I was in the kitchen putting away the dishes from the dishwasher and then I heard this faint sound. I was not sure what it was at first. So I stood up and tried to not move, not even to breathe to listen.


Rip.

There is was again. It was the sound of paper ripping. I wasn't sure what to make of it and then I heard Jo say, "What are you doing that Genius."

I walked into the craft studio to find Mo sitting on the floor with torn up pieces of paper all around him. His face was bright red and I could tell something was really bothering him.

"I've had enough!" he said and then pointed towards the floor where all the torn pieces of paper were laying scattered around him.

Jo smiled and then left the craft studio asking over his shoulder, "I hope there is a new bag of snaps in the kitchen. "

I looked at Mo and then asked, "What's wrong?"

Mo looked up at me and then started without even taking one breath, "The rooster tablecloth pattern will not work, it is curling, after six times of trying, I have had enough. I am finished. I have torn it up and refuse to even look at it again. Don't even ask me to because I won't and I never  even want to hear the word rooster even spoken in this house again!"  his lower lip started to tremble.

Jo started making rooster sounds from the kitchen.  Mo balled up his fists and then put them together covering up his face.

I sat down next to him and started to pick up the torn pieces of paper.  I looked at the pattern. It was a diagram of the tablecloth, but it was a very bad copy, some of the areas were blurred and it was really hard to tell in some spots if there was even a stitch there or not.

I gave Mo a hug and then said, "Mo there are a zillion patterns out there, you never have to waste your time on one that is frustrating you.  Just move on to something else. Crochet is not about stress, it's about relieving stress. You should hook what makes you happy."

Mo's lip stopped trembling and he sniffed a little and then said, "But you always finish what you start...."  and before he could finish Jo burst out laughing.

Jo was behind us in the doorway, neither of us knew he was even there.

"She never finishes anything, that's why she has us."  Jo said as he bit into a gingersnap.

"Go back into the kitchen Jo. We eat in the dinning room, not in the craft studio!" I said to him while getting up off the floor.

"Ok, lets clean up this mess, and forget about the stupid rooster!"  I said.

Jo had his chair leaning back against the wall when we walked into the kitchen. I raised my eye brow and he quickly moved the forward and back to where all four legs were on the floor.

"Who wants a nice warm bowl of grits and a side of toast?" I asked.

Jo looked at me in horror.  "No body eats that crap. What are we down on the plantation or something?" he smirked.

"Oh I love grits." Mo exclaimed smiling

"You would."  Jo sassed and then got up and left the room.

"Extra butter please." Mo smiled at me.

I smiled, "You got it."

Is there anything a warm bowl of grits and a side of buttery toast can't solve?  In all my 40 plus years I have to admit, no....it pretty much can solve just about everything!

So from my southern kitchen I wish you all a lovely day sweet friends.....oh, and ex nay on the rooster tablecloth eh, ok!  :)


6 comments:

  1. Oooh Shame on you Jo Honey ;) You managed to rile up this southern girl. I am a fan of putting real molasses on my grits adds those extra vitamins right? Yes hook what makes you happy. Some times you can have a copy enlarged and it can help. I too need diagrams for my thread projects. 'nuff bout me. Y'all have a good day from The Heart of Dixie,aka Alabama :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry it just didn't work out for you Vicki. No worries, you have plenty others to work on happily. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree wholeheartedly. I've been told before that crafting anything, be it knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, card-making, etc. should make your heart sing. If it doesn't...move on. I think that is most excellent advice.
    On a side note, I've never even tasted grits. Is it anything like oatmeal? :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those voices in your head keep getting louder and louder don't they? Love you girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is too short to work on something that isn't working. There are so many wonderful things to work on, time to move on and get Joy out of your craft time. By the way the first thing I thought of with the grits is that you are a southern girl.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen on all the other choices out there... life's too short to spend on one that isn't making you happy... Now, where are those grits??? I am going for extra butter, too. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete