Sunday, January 19, 2014

Dreams.....


Last night I dreamt I went to Manderlay again.....oh wait, that's how the novel Rebecca begins....sorry.  Actually I dreamed I was in a castle by the sea, not sure if it were England or not, and as I stood there, feeling the salty air on my skin I was wrapped in knitted lace as a queen might be.

I watched as a seagull flew beyond the grounds out towards the rocky cliff he soared ever so high and then with one quick turn he made a swoop past the cliffs edge and out towards the sea. I watched as his shadow raced across the mossy knoll and I became mesmerised with his adventures....longing, so longing for him to take me with him.  I stood there on the edge of weeping, and then almost as if he could hear me, he turned and flew towards me.

My heart almost stopped when he came closer for he was much bigger than any normal sea gull I had ever seen.  He landed on my balcony and as I stood there in shock watching him, he turned his head and then said, "You coming or what?"

I jumped on and we began to fly away from the castle soaring the skies....my knitted lace behind me trailing in the wind.  I held on for fear of falling....and then just as quickly as he picked me up, he turned and dropped me.....I felt myself falling, tumbling towards the sea. I screamed out, but there was no one to hear me....

When I woke up, I was in my bed....the sun brightly shinning through the blinds...I looked over at my knitting basket and what, just what did I see....why I saw this pattern staring back up at me!





I have been holding back on you guys...I have been secretly knitting  a tablecloth (not the one above) and have so loved it, I went to the yarn shop today and got some knitting needles ....ok, I have knitting needles (this is the discussion that Hubby and I had) I need size 3.5mm circulars in 24 inches and I also need size 3.5mm circulars in 32 inches.  For as the lace grows I need to change the knitting needles to hold all those hundreds of stitches.  Hubby's eyes glazed over and then he said, "get what ever you need" because I think he would rather I just shut up and leave him alone about it already!  And I think he wants me to be busy come Super Bowl Time, too, just saying!  I got my two knitting needles that I needed and this pattern. It was the only knitted lace tablecloth/doily they had in the shop....it's a Niebling!

Ok, for those of you who don't knit, I am more than sure you are saying, Who?   Niebling is like the king of knitted lace...seriously, his designs are red hot rocking!  If you don't believe me, go here and be prepared to lust.

As soon as I can get the tablecloth I am working on off the useless Boye circular needs and onto my new needles I will take a quick snap and show you.  I am using the size 10 Aunt Lydia crochet cotton in white.

Will 2014 be the year that knitting lace and I become lovers (shhh don't tell the crochet)?  I hope so. I have so longed to be a lace knitter....but that is a story for another day.

Wishing you all a most lovely day.  

9 comments:

  1. Ahh but Crochet sees all, knows all. ;) have a knitty day dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I am in the "who" group. I went and looked and WOW do I understand, Incredible knit-art. I bow to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I can not count, we have established that ages ago, that tablecloth would be the death of me. So congrats to you and knitted lace becoming so close. Hugs and good luck,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, that's beautiful! Looking forward to seeing its start, progress, and finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite a dream there! I'm a huge fan of doilies of any kind and can't wait to see what you're making.. give us a sneak preview? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I a also in the "who" group, I had never heard of him so I went and looked? WOW! The designs are amazing. I crochet tablecloths but have never knitted one. Maybe I'll need to try it sometime.
    Love, love your story too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you go girl, knit on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh--pretty. =) Can't wait to see what you're working on.

    ReplyDelete