Thursday, May 2, 2013

Saying goodbye to an old friend......

My heart is heavy today. For I have had to say goodbye to an old friend. As the words, "Dearly departed" rang through out my thoughts, I thought I might share with you a little bit about my old friend.

I had known this friend since I was 19, or was that 18? I can not remember really, that was so long ago. But this friend was always there for me. Everyone said we were miss matched as friends. But I knew we were perfect for each other.

I remember how exciting it was to take trips to the beach with my friend. The sound of the tides and the seagulls mixing with the salty breeze that blew past. There is something about the ocean that seeps into your soul, that no matter where you go in life, you will forever and always hear the roar of the ocean in your heart.

My friend was there when work stressed me out. When matters of the heart seemed so important and devastating, my friend was there to comfort me. All sadness seemed to fade as I spent time with my friend.

So today, when I realized as I tried to cross stitch and the joy that I always got from that was gone. It was as if it never existed. As if I were doing something so foreign until my mind started to drift.

What was the first thing I thought of. How I could make the chart into a filet crochet pattern. I so love the bright colors of floss, but to cross stitch anymore leaves me feeling so empty. So bored.

And then it hit me. I have been trying so hard to hold onto cross stitching, not because I like doing it, for clearly I do not, not because I think it enriches my life, or that it is meaningful to me in some way, but I keep holding onto it, because it was the friend that went to the beach with me. It was the friend that saw me through break ups and heart aches and jobs that were nightmares.

So today, I say goodbye to my old friend. We had a good run. So many memories, so many happy times. But I need to shut that door on my life now. To move forward to the next big adventure.

In lieu of flowers for the dearly department, I ask that instead, you please go out and do something you really love to do today with one of your old friends, in memory of mine.

Blessings to each and every single one of you.  And thank you so much for all the wonderful comments you have left on the story I am writing Hookers Welcomed Here. I hope you realize that this only encourages me to write more.  :) 

20 comments:

  1. You had me going there for a while My Stitchy...
    When I finished reading this the first time, I thought hmmm..is she speaking of the cross stitch? I had to re read it to make sure I wasn't missing something. Let's go beachcombing today, how about Sanibel? We'll look for shells and treasures...and have a celebrate life day? looking forward to your next great adventure....Hugs & blessings to you this day my friend...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love picking up shells. I know the perfect place, too. After wards we can sit beach side and sip iced tea and crochet the afternoon away. :)

      Hugs and blessings always dear friend. :)

      Delete
  2. Good Morning!! I am so sorry for your loss. I lost mine when I started wearing bifocals. I envy those that can continue and can see. So instead of sending flowers I will create a masterpiece with you in mind with my hook and thread. Prayers and Hugs in your time of sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you always "get me"! :)

      I will be looking forward to seeing your masterpiece.

      Hugs and blessings always dear friend.

      Delete
  3. Really thought there was a death in the family! I too lost a dear friend in cross stitch when my eyes no longer let me see those tiny holes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, on the brighter side of things, we now have crochet! :)

      Blessings always :)

      Delete
  4. This also happened to me about 10 years ago. I have held on to my memories. The thread, hoops and canvas, but I don't think we'll ever meet again in a meaningful relationship in this life.
    My condolences.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your condolences...you crack me up! :)

      At least we have crochet...which I have to say, some who fills my heart with such joy, I just can't explain it

      Blessings always dear friend.

      Delete
  5. So far my friend still loves me, so I'll be sure to pull an extra thread through the fabric in memory of your lost friend and to celebrate mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still waiting for you to start a blog. I'd love to see the things you stitch! :)

      Oh please do celebrate and be merry...for even though I don't want to stitch, I still love looking at all the beautiful work that everyone else does.

      Hugs and blessings always

      Delete
  6. Ah my poor, dear friend. Maybe the loss isn't forever, maybe a good long break is what is needed. You have plenty to do with your crochet hook, and gasp, knitting needles. You need to create with no pressure, just fun. That is what creating is all about.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "gasp, knitting" indeed! :)

      Hugs and blessings to you dear friend. :)

      Delete
  7. Im so sorry to hear of your loss. Mine came awhile ago as well. I now crochet and in every stitch I remember all my stitches.
    Carry on and enjoy your life so full of creativity....blessings, Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am starting to see a trend here....seems like a lot of us have loss our cross stitch friend.

    I do love crochet, it fills my heart with such joy. :)

    Blessings to you always dear friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The comments here are as good as the post! I think you have ample fodder here for a new story, Stitchy!

    My friend hasn't died yet, but could die of neglect, the way I've been treating her. I, too, may have to do something special to honor your friend and to spark new life into my friend...

    I hope you are healing well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For everything there is a season... I believe this with all my heart... I know there have been several "friends" that have been hard to part with (running being the hardest)... but, we grow and change and move on... blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the word sabbatical applies here. And yes, it may be a long one but I tend to think that one day the cross stitching will return. And once again be enjoyable ...for a while. Its one of those things that comes and goes. So for now, so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep all my supplies, just in case.....of course no one ever said you could not crochet with floss. :)

      Blessings always dearest friend.

      Delete
  12. Perhaps now I can confess that I never liked cross-stitching. I don't mean the work of others, which I really admire - I mean doing it myself. I tried, I really did, but somehow our stars were crossed (ha!) and we were just not meant to be together, cross-stitching and I.

    Rest in peace, Vicki's cross-stitchery.

    P.S. There is life after death, you know. Perhaps one day you will be surprised by a resurrection.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on the same page with you on admiring other's lovely cross stitching, just not for me anymore.

      Well, about the resurrection thing, mine would probably be something along the lines of something from an Steven King novel, yeah they come back, but bad!

      Blessings to you always dear friend.

      Delete